Saturday, March 29, 2008

Art Imitates Life - Pear Tiles Tutorial


Happy Saturday everyone! I didn't get to stamp last night because DH and I went to see a play called Three Tall Women by Edward Albee. Have you seen it?? It's about a woman at the end of life remembering all the parts of her life - and the 3 women in the play each represent a stage - youth, middle age and elderly. It was really interesting!

So - today I was raring to go on the Inspiration Challenge on Split Coast. Today we were to find something in our home that inspired us to make a card.

I chose this tile table above as inspiration. I got it at Michaels on sale last year and use it inside to put plants on and out on my deck in the summer for drinks or food when we are sitting out there.

It was fun trying to make this card look just like the tile. I took pictures of each step in the process for you to see how I put this together.



First I stamped my pear on the left on a piece of Very Vanilla Card Stock. I used markers to color right on the stamp so it could be multicolored. Then I stamped it on a piece of paper and cut it out. This cut out is my mask to tape over the stamped pear on the left so when I stamp the second pear it looks like it's behind the first pear. I use Scotts Double sided removable tape to attach the mask so it comes off easily without damaging my stamping.

Then I stamped my second pear (coloring it with markers and not coloring the leaf ) on the right over the mask. I also stamped my branch 3 times connecting the ends a little so it looks like one long branch. I colored in my branch and it's leaves.

Next I moved the mask to cover the second pear and stamped the leaves and flowers. Again - the leaves will look like they are behind the pears. You can move the mask back and forth as you decide where you want to stamp your leaves.

Next I removed the mask and stamped a few leaves over the pears.

Then I cut up my image in a random pattern. Be sure you lay the cut out pieces back down in order as you cut them or you may have trouble figuring out where they go!! I laid my pieces on a Sahara Sand background piece to space them out evenly. Next I attached the pieces to the background attaching each corner first to try and make it spaced as evenly as possible as I attached everything.

I realized that the pears looked too light on my stamping and were sort of overcome by the dark leaves - so I colored in the centers with my marker and then blended it a little with my aqua painter. The final step is to attach the panel to the black card. This card is 6 x 6 so rather large!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that you try it out - I'd love to see what you do with this! Link back your card if you create something!! Have a great rest of your Saturday - see you tomorrow!

Stamps: Pear- Rubber Stampede, Splatter - Hampton Arts, Branch - Stamps by Judith
Leaf - Blossoms Abound Stampin Up, Flower - Bodacious Bouquet Stampin Up.
Inks: Meadow & Lettuce by Adirondacks
Paper: Black, Sahara Sand, Very Vanilla: Stampin Up
Supplies: SU Earthtone Markers, Scotts Removable double sided tape, aqua painter

11 comments:

LeAnne said...

This is awesome! I thought this was one of the best challenges they ever gave---I just haven't had time to do one yet! Great job, it matches your tile almost perfectly!
LeAnne

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful tutorial and I hope I will be able to try this myself! Your card turned out beautifully! Thanks Julia!
Deena (moonrise)

lauren bergold said...

that is *AMAZING*! absolutely gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great tutorial and marvelous inspired card ... love all of your amazing details.

Deb Wood said...

Wow Julia this is amazing!! It looks better than the table and thank for the step by step! Gorgeous!!

Nathalia Castellon said...

Love all your Homegrown card entries at Varks! Thanks for joining in!

dpkennedy said...

Wow Julia, this is beautiful! If I ever find time these days I am gonna try it!!

Corie said...

Oh my this is stunning!!!

jjcreations said...

Awesome card....awesome tutorial. Joan

zakkalife said...

That's amazing how close it looks to the real tile, especially considering you used your own stamps. What a beautiful card.

jessica

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial and such a wonderful card. It turned out even better than the table!
I was so inspired by your card so I tried to make one of own. I'm a bit ashamed since it's almost a CASE (copy and steal everything) but your card was so beautiful!
/ Inger