Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Caardvarks Vegetables and Purple Snurple Challenges

Over at the Caardvarks Blog they have monthly and micro challenges - to make cards using a given subject, topic or color. They are a really fun group and you should check it out - they offer prizes to the winner from companies who sponsor them. Here are 3 cards I made for their Fruits and Vegetables March Challenge and a purple card for their Purple Snurple micro challenge (where you have just 2 days to submit a card)to make a card all in purple.


All three vegetable cards are made using the retired set from Stampin Up called Vegetable Garden. I love this set but have hardly used it. That's why challenges are so good for us - they make us get creative and use all the 'stuff' we stock our stamping rooms with just 'in case' we ever might need it!

So this card above is obviously the ear of corn stamp - this is my favorite stamp in the set but it's so big it really takes up the whole card! I used Adirondack Lemonade and Meadow ink colors to stamp it. These inks are juicier than some so you get a really rich deep stamp from it. The green card stock is a Bazzill so it has a texture to it. I punched two holes on the base of the ear and knotted some twine through the holes - I thought this would give the impression of the corn silk.

Stamps: Vegetable Garden & So Many Sayings SU
Paper: Green Bazzill, Papertrey white, yo yo yellow SU
Ink: Lemonade & Lettuce Adirondack
Accessories: oval punch, brad, dimensionals, twine

My next vegetable is the tomatoe (you say tomato)! I think I need something more on this now that I look at it - but I again used the Adirondack ink - this time Watermellon and attached a pretty red felt rick rack along the top. The sentiment is up on dimensionals. Maybe I should have stamped a splatter over the white? What do you think??

Vegetable Garden and So Very - SU
Paper: Real Red, Handsome Hunter, Papertrey White
Ink: Watermellon & Meadow Adirondack
Accessories: circle punches, dimensionals, felt rick rack

And my last vegetable is the pea! I love how this designer paper by K&Co matches the shape so well! I used Meadow and Lettuce Adirondack inks on this card and the sentiment and pea panel are both up on dimensionals. I added three rows of the ribbon and tied a knot around the middle one.

Stamps: vegetable garden & So Many Sayings - SU
Paper: Sage Shadow, Papertrey white, green Bazzill, DP - K & Co Amy Butler
Ink: Meadow and Lettuce Adirondack
Accessories: ribbon - Martha Stewart, 2 oval punches, dimensionals.

And my last card for tonight is my Purple Snurple Take a Deep Breath card! I wanted to keep this clean and simple to appreciate the textures of it. It looks better in real life than in the picture. I used Elegant Eggplant and a lighter purple Card Stock. I stamped the vellum (which I heated with my hot gun lightly to dry it before touching it or it would smear!) and sentiment with Hydrangea ink by Close To My Heart and I used purple dew drops on the sentiment and upper corner. The butterflies are by Papertrey Ink and the sentiment is My Favorite Things.
Stamps: MFT: Namaste, PPI: Butterfly kisses
Paper: Elegant Eggplant, lighter purple, vellum
Ink: Hydrangea: CTMH
Accessories: glue dots, cuttlebug folder, dew drops, curvy paper cutter: Creative Memories

I hope these cards encourage you to eat your vegetables! and to check out the Caardvarks blog and make some cards for their challenges. Thanks for spending some time with me tonight!

It's 60 degrees here at 10:46 PM so I'm happy! I got to wear my spring coat to work today instead of my heavy down one finally. Hope to chat with you again tomorrow night - although there is a new CSI on FINALLY! So hopefully I get my sketch card done before it comes on!

2 comments:

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Oh your vegetable cards are SO lovely. I love the clean lines of the images and the fresh colours. :0) Mel
P.S. Yay for spring!

Debbie Olson said...

These are all beautiful, but the corn one *really* stands out! I love the fibers that you put on the end--very creative!