Friday, June 13, 2008

A Card with a View and A Card with a Knot

Happy Friday everyone! We had a gorgeous summer day here in Massachusetts today - sunny and warm but with a breeze and no humidity - not many days like this! I have two cards to show you today - first is my card that I made way too late last night (or early this morning!) for the Ways To Use It challenge on Split Coast - to use a photo on your card.
My DH and I went to Ireland a year ago in celebration of our 10th wedding anniversary and I took a gazillion pictures. The picture on this card is of the entrance to St. Kevin's Abby. I printed it on watercolor paper and cut the edges with dekle edged scissors to make it look like a photo edge (the way they used to when I was young - although they had a white border then also! does anyone else remember that?). I layered the photo to a cuttled panel and a DP panel, sponged everything in Close to Cocoa and added these great new Prima artful flowers and leaves. Aren't these flowers beautiful? and I love how the picture printed on the watercolor paper - it looks almost three dimensional here don't you think?

Stamps: Sentiment - Inky Antics
Paper: certainly celery, kraft, water color paper, DP - Basic Grey Mellow
Ink: Onyx Black Versafine, Close to cocoa
Accessories: Dekle edge scissors, primas artful collage flowers & artful leaves, sponge, foam dimensionals, distresser.

My second card was made for the Limited Supplies Challenge - to use a knot on your card.

I was asked by a friend to make a wedding card for her to give to her niece and she wanted it personalized and to use Wasabi color. Luckily (!) I recently purchased the Just Rite Monogram stamps so was ready to take this card on!

I attached the ribbon to the back of the panels and then used a shorter piece and knotted it around the flat ribbon twisting it so the dots showed on each end of the knot. I cut the circles with my nestabilities and added dew drops on a few flower. This pretty paper by Die Cuts with a View has glitter already on the flower centers - don't know if you can see that in the picture.

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to look at my creations - I'll be checking out your blogs too - leave me a comment so I can hope over to see you! Have a great night!

Stamps: Just Rite Monogram
Paper: White: PTI, Wild Wasabi, Bashful Blue: SU, DP: Die Cuts with a View Rosies Glitter Print-Pocket Full of Posies
Ink: Onyx Black Versafine
Accessories: foam dimensionals, ticket corner punch, dotted grosgrain: Michaels, Nestability Circles, dew drops,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do remember those deckle-edged photos ... what a fabulous picture and wonderful cards ... love them both.

Denise Marzec said...

Love both cards...but wow on the picture of Ireland! The picture itself is gorgeous and printing it on watercoloring paper and edging it the way you did looks great. Love those pretty flowers too. Great job, Julia!

Anonymous said...

Love the first card with the arch entry. And yes, I'm definitely old enough to remember the old photo prints from the Kodak Brownie. What a long way we've come! Your card makes me feel like I was there myself. The wedding card if very cute and different. Have a great weekend!

Deb Wood said...

These are both fabulos!! I really love the scenery one..It'gorgeous!

None None said...

beautiful card and what a great photo - it really makes the card. Thank you for sharing - I'm inspired to make a card like that for myself now. :)

LeAnne said...

That photo & card together are beautiful! I love the sentiment and all the elements you put with it. Great memories, I am sure!
LeAnne