Monday, February 23, 2009

An Easter Basket, a CPS Sketch and a Clean and Simple

I made these cute baskets for an upcoming Easter sale at my church. The instructions for these came from the April 2006 issue of Paper Made Easy magazine (I cut out and file pictures and instructions for all kinds of seasonal crafts so I can find them when I need them - hopefully!! )

These are made of the little peat containers you buy to start flowers inside before it's warm enough outside to do so. I got mine at K-Mart in the garden section last year.

First I painted them with acrylic paints - inside and out. The lovely vintage bunny clip art is from Dover Publications Holiday Vignettes Book and CD which I printed, cut out and decoupaged onto the containers using Mod Podge. Then you dry brush Gold paint on the edges and dip the top rim into glitter before it dries. I attached the ribbons with glue to hold it at the angle.

Finally, you just punch two holes on either side and wrap the wire through them. I used colored wire that I got at a craft store (forget where!). They come several colors to a pack - each color is on a spool. Inside I put pieces of thick yarn and nestled a plastic egg full of jelly beans in the basket. I used an oval punch for the sentiment tag and attached it to the wire with a piece of sheer white ribbon.

You can see the glitter on the top edge a little better in this pic.

The tags on these cute baskets qualify them for this weeks Our Creative Corner challenge - to use a tag on you project.

Stamps: Easter Blessings: Rubber Soul

Supplies: Peat pots 2.5", green & purple wire 18 gauge (10" piece for each basket), Hodge Podge, Mint Julep & Orchid Acrylic paint - Deco Art Americana, Glorious Gold- Dazzling metallics, Vintage bunnies: Dover Publications - Holiday Vignettes Book & CD, thick yarns, sheer white ribbon

My first card today was made using the sketch from Card Positioning Systems (CPS) - they have teamed up with Papertrey Ink and one lucky person will win some Papertrey prizes!


Can you tell I just got my new PTI stamps in the mail today!?!?! I used their new Itty Bitty Dots Designer paper as well as one of the new stamp sets - Friends till the End. I thought it was a really weird sketch when I first saw it - but I like how this card ended up. I stamped directly on the designer paper with Dark Chocolate ink.

Stamps: Friends till the End: PTI

Paper: White, DP- Itty Bitty Dots - all PTI

Ink: Dark Chocolate - PTI

And my next card was made for the CAS (Clean and Simple) challenge over on Split Coast. This week it was a sketch. I turned the sketch on it's side and used a word panel instead of stars on the corner. Again - I used my new Papertrey 'stuff'!
I appreciate your coming by today!
Stamps: Friends till the End, Beyond Basic Borders: PTI

Paper: Spring Moss, New Leaf: PTI

Ink: New Leaf

Accessories: Rectangle Nestabilities, sponge.

19 comments:

Joan Ervin said...

Boy, have you been busy, Julia....I love all your projects...the Easter baskets are beautiful and I love the new PTI stamps and papers!!! Your CAS card is gorgeous...love the sketch!!! You always have such wonderful stuff on you blog...it's always a real treat to visit your blog!!!

~amy~ said...

You were a busy bee!!! What adorable easter baskets!!! I love both of your cards too!

Lisa Foster said...

Wow Julia!!! I love these baskets they are darling! Both of your cards are outstanding!!! Love it all!

Susan said...

I love what you did with the Beyond Basic Borders! And the Friends card is just gorgeous!!

Courtney Baker said...

Cute cards! I just love that second one- the colors, the clean design- SO CUTE!

Corie said...

These are absolutely FANTASTIC

Bev J. said...

Great cards and what cute Easter baskets. Love the little polka dots paper. tfs

Renee said...

Love your cards and the Easter baskets......adorable!

Susan said...

love the Easter baskets! I think I want to try those...

Lisa Olson said...

Hi Julia, lovely to hear from you and thank you for visitng my blog. Well what can I say about your latest make, I lve them... you always make such exciting things I love the easter baskets it reminds me of Beatrix Potter which I adored as a child still do to be honest!!!

Linsey R said...

Goodness, Julia-you've been quite busy yourself! :)These are absolutely fabulous, i just love the baskets--all the artistic work involved really paid off--gorgeous!! Also, your card is a dotted delight in every way!! So cool! Thanks for visiting me and stickin with me *wink*--ive been dealin w/some stuff for a while, but nothing I can't handle, so thank you for keeping in touch even though I havent been. It means a lot and you made my day! hug and smiles, my dear friend xoxo

dpkennedy said...

Pretty cards Julia, but the crowning glory here is those baskets! What a fun and beautiful project and gift you created! These are gonna be a hit!!

Carla said...

These are all wonderful, but the Easter baskets are my favorite! Love them!!

Unknown said...

I love your easter baskets Julia. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. I so appreciate it.

Jamie Harder said...

What fabulous cards!! I think I need some of those great stamps:)

"The Sassy Divas" said...

Love your cards, and your easter baskets are adorable too!

Pat (mspfd) said...

These Easter Baskets are adorable. Think they will be the hit of the sale! Awesome cards -- I especially love the CPS sketch!

Deanna said...

These are great Julia! Love what you did with the CPS sketch!

Anonymous said...

Great projects. Your Easter baskets are very cute. Love the boldness of color for the CPS sketch!