Friday, December 2, 2011

Trying the 12 Tags of Christmas - Day 1 & 2

Ok -  so every year I hear of Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of Christmas 'thing' but for some reason I never checked it out or realized that he created a new tag each day on his blog for people to be inspired by.  I've also sort of NOT been into the whole grunge, over the top decorating of things as is Tim's style.

But....... over the past couple of years I've been experimenting with Tim's style on and off - and on the way - gathering more and more Tim Holtz/Ranger 'supplies'.   SO -  having seen a tag on my blogging friend, Susan's, blog where she linked to Tim's challenges -  I got inspired to give the 12 Tags of Christmas a try!

Day 1 Tag -   You really need to go to Tim's Blog to see his sample  - but here is my inspired tag.  I used a lot of his ideas but with the supplies that I had in my craft room.  I used his tattered flower die instead of his pine cone and I used some of his grunge board flourishes instead of the floral pieces.  My Noel letters are Thickers that were already blue and sparkly!

Day 2 Tag -  You can see Tim's tag here.  And below is mine.   I didn't have a deer die - so I used a Sizzix Snowman, cutting the hat and scarf piece out of felt and adding 2 brads for his eyes. .  I used a lot of Dazzling Diamonds on this tag so it looks pretty snowy IRL!
So now I have to go check out Tim's blog for Day 3!    If you join in -  remember to link your creations to the proper day's tag posting -   there will be prizes to win - and you have until 12/31 to get them all done -  check out all the details on Tim's Blog.

Tag Day 1:
Paper:  Coredinations Distress Collection - Tumbled Glass & Shabby Shutters, Hawaiian Shore - PTI
Ink:  Ranger Distress Ink - Iced Spruce, Evergreen Branch, Embossing Ink.
Accessories:  Floral spray - wedding section/Michaels, snowflake embossing folder - Provo  Craft, wrinkled seam tape - Prairie Bird Boutique Etsy Shop, Tim Holtz Ideology grungeboard elements - Flourishes, Thickers Glitter Letters - American Crafts, Regal Crest & Tattered florals  Sizzix Alterations dies, white embossing powder, hot gun, shimmer brad - Making Memories, Liquid Pearls - white opal, Dazzling diamonds - SU.

Tag Day 2:
Paper:  Rustic Cream - PTI, DP music paper Provo Craft, Coredinations Distress collection - Bruxhed corduroy, Ranger Claudine Helmuth canvas.
Ink:  Ranger Distress Tea Dye, Iced Spruce, Embossing Ink.
Accessories:  wreath - Michaels, brads - Imaginesce, felt - Michaels, Sizzix Snowman die, pine tree punch - EK Success, Scallop punch -SU, dazzling diamonds - SU, gingham ribbons and bell - Michaels, marichino twine - the Twinery, thick foam tape.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that snowman! I haev that die too. Maybe I will have to make another!

Joan Ervin said...

Ooooh, Julia...your tags are FABULOUS!!!!! I love the soft bl;ues and the flower in the first one and the adorable snowman on the second!!! Maybe next week I can make a few of these...sounds like fun!!!

Evelyn S. said...

I LOVE how you have interpreted Tim's tags! Wonderful use of the Tattered Floral dies and I think that snowman tag is absolutely wonderful! (For two of the years, I did every tag....no more.)

Riet said...

So beautiful tags Julia.

Hugs Riet.xx

Танюша said...

очень нравится ваш симапатичный снеговичок!

~amy~ said...

Oh julia....your tags are STUNNING!!!!!!!

Ksenia GypSee Art said...

Aw, that cutie - snowman!!! Love!

Nancy said...

Beautiful, both of them :)

velta said...

Hi there Julia ~ Oh How I love that Snowman tag! Everything about this creation is just perfect...what a great gift this would make! Thank you for sharing!

Jen Adcock said...

Amazing tags. I must say that the snowman is THE cutest ever. I am not sure if a snowman can be both snowy and squiggy at the same time but this cutie sure is. Hands down the best snowman of the season. So fun!

Susan said...

wow, happy to pique your interest, Julia...and happy to know you're over there on the right side of the country holding up the tag banner this year! It'll be fun...this one is fabulous...and cool you are using what you have.

Looking forward to seeing where we arrive this Christmas season.
Blessings

Monika/Buzsy said...

These are so pretty Julia. Love the cute snowman! Great textures and colors. :o)

Kary said...

These are SO pretty, Julia!! I LOVE your take on Tim's tags in your own style. I'm not a grungy person and find it hard to participate with Tim, and yours is a great inspiration. Thanks for sharing!!

EdaMommy said...

This is years later, but just saw your tag on Pinterest and love the way you use your own supplies and your own creativity to mimic Tim Holtz designs. You think a bit like I do and have many of the same supplies so I will begin following on pinterest. Thanks!