Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Let's Mark the Book

I love to read -  and therefore - I love finding new styles of bookmarks to make using my stamps!

This fun design was Joan's Technique Lover's challenge over on Split Coast this week.   It's the kind of bookmark that slips over the page - a foldover bookmark!

Here are Joan's instructions:

1. Cut a piece of card stock 2" x 11" and fold in half so it measures 2" x 5 1/2" (or use a scrap of card stock near the same size).
2. Cut the top corners in the shape of a tag ( or use a die for a fancy shape) and punch a hole in the center top for ribbons or twine.
3. Sew through the front and back about 1/2" from the top so the bookmark will stay closed and not flop open. If you don't sew, you can glue the front and back together on the inside from the fold down about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
4. Now, decorate anyway you want...remember to keep it flat so the bookmark will fit over the page snuggly!!!

I stamped a crackle background on a white panel then stamped the box words over it. My stamps are from Rubbernecker.  My sewing machine and I are not on the best of terms right now (!) so I just put a piece of ScorTape across the inside just above the stamped panel.

I think this design would work for both male or female even though there is ribbon at the top!

You will find Joan's challenge on Split Coast  here.

ETA:  check out this Rubbernecker sale!

 

Stamps: Rubbernecker - Box Word Set, Crackle Panel Background
Paper: white, True Black, Royal Velvet - PTI
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black, Memento Sweet Plum
Accessories: Cropadile, ScorTape, wrinkled seam Tape

7 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

Such a wonderful bookmark Julia! Love the pretty seam binding!

Clare said...

I love making bookmarks and your is so unique.

Annette Allen said...

I love that stamped background...looks awesome..love this bookmark...

walchowDesign said...

Beautiful bookmark and love the flipping idea!

Anonymous said...

I love your bookmark and your colors are so elegant looking!! What a fun idea!! :) TFS

Riet said...

So gorgeous Julia.

Hugs Riet.xx

Pauline said...

What a fabulous Bookmark tutorial! I will certainly be borrowing this! I love the subtle stamping, and crinkly ribbon, a wonderful bookmark!