Saturday, October 12, 2013

Mixed Media - Happy Harvest!

Today I have a project I made for Mona and Sue's Mixed Media Color challenge
I decided to do a small canvas this time - using the same photo of my cute little grandnephew, James, that I used on yesterdays post - since there are blue and red colors in the photo.   It is a picture of James enjoying a just picked apple when he was apple picking with his mum and dad - so I went with the fall theme - using some stitched leaf dies. (I LOVE these leaves!)
I used several mediums on this project - First I dry brushed some blue acrylic paint over the whole gesso-primed canvas.  Then I stenciled the brick wall with embossing paste, brushed over it with pink acrylic paint and then some Distress Crackle Paint.  I die cut the leaves, brushed over them with pink acrylic paint and Sheer Sparkle Glitter Glaze.  I wanted to define the edge - so I inked it with Ranger Tumbled Glass Distress Stain.  I attached the photo and then brushed Matte Mod Podge over the whole thing!
I wanted to fill the space at the top of the canvas but wasn't sure what to put there and I didn't want to wreck the whole thing by doing something 'yucky' - which I often seem to do!   So - when I woke up this morning to look at how it had all dried -  I suddenly remembered these canvas Thicker Stickers and thought putting the year on my creation would be a great way to remember how old James was when I made this.  I brushed over the numbers with pink acrylic paint but it's not too noticeable in the photo.
So -  I think my niece Christie will like this - she puts a lot of the things I make with James in them on the mantle in their living room, which makes me happy!
So have you been playing with mixed media?   Come over and check Mona and Sue's Mixed Media Color challenges -  they are really fun!  I have learned so much just by playing with all of these different mediums - I'm starting to get more comfortable using them!

Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Peace and Plenty
Paper:  Pure Poppy - PTI, Blue from stash.
Ink:  Archival Jet Black
Accessories:  6"x8" canvas panel - Michaels, Ranger Distress Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint, Stitched Leaf Die - Lawn Fawn, enamel dots - My Mind's Eye, Thicker Fabric Stickers, Ranger Glue N Seal, Matte Mod Podge, Brick wall stencil - MFT, Summer Haze and Ballet Slipper Acrylic Paint - Martha Stewart, Studio 490 Embossing Paste, Glitter Glaze Sheer Sparkle - MFT, Ranger Tumbled Glass Distress Stain.

7 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

Fabulous! What a super way to keep the memories - love all the texture!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Wow, it's wonderful!! I love the whole concept and this must have so much texture! I haven't worked with embossing paste yet. Oh, the things to explore will keep me alive much longer!! LOL

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Julia! What an amazing project! Love the beautiful foliage and brick wall! Such a sweet photo! Thanks for joining along with A Mixed Media Color Challenge!

Annette Allen said...

aww wow this is amazing.. love mixed media art

Patti J said...

Beautifully done, Julia! Great job, and what a cute little guy your nephew is! Thanks for sharing :-)

Vicki Dutcher said...

So cute with the cut out photo and the year. Love the added paste.

Sue Lelli said...

Julia, I would use that FAB photo over and over it is so WONDERFUL! LOVE the leaves and the texture! Beautiful canvas! THX for playing with us at A Mixed Media Color Challenge!