Friday, May 23, 2014

A Vintage Journey Challenge - All About Him

Today I'm happy to be playing along with the A Vintage Journey Challenge #6 - All About Him.  

Anne is our host for this challenge and in her words:  "I have chosen 'All About Him' as my theme.  Men are usually difficult to make things for but with Tim Holtz's range of stamps, dies and accessories it does make life so much easier!  So with Father's Day just around the corner, this is a perfect chance to create something. This challenge is to make a card/tag/3D or any other type of project specifically for a man, using Tim's techniques or products wherever possible."

I made a tag for my project -  while I'm learning to design with Mixed Media - the size of a tag is just right for me to work on!  And - I'm going to be making a Tag Booklet to keep my tags in.  I'll place them on my kitchen counter or my desk at work so I can flip through them and admire all my handy work!
So - here is my All About Him tag -  my dad passed when he was just retired - suddenly - at the age of 66 (when I was 27) so I just made this tag masculine and not about a dad particularly.
Things that make it All About Him -   darker colors -  I used Orange Blossom, Cornflower Blue, Leaf Green Archival Inks, Black Soot and Vintage Photo Ranger Distress Inks (the poor guys always get the depressing colors don't they!?)
I used an architectural window stamp from Classics #16 and a pediments die (that I cut from Grunge Paper - inked and then adhered Ranger Distress Tarnished Brass Glitter to).  I used metal - with the Heart Charm,(I love these little hearts!) Time Pieces with Game Spinners, (that I inked with Orange Blossom, Cornflower Blue and Leaf Green Archival inks) the Ring Fastener, the Trinket Pin and black paper string.  I made the background by placing some puddles of Ranger Distress paints (Mustard Seed, Rusty Hinge and Bundled Sage) on my nonstick mat - spraying with water and then dragging the tag through it.  I dried it with my heat gun then sponged over it with Vintage Photo and black soot Distress Inks. I inked a damask stencil designed my my friend Mona over at MFT (I don't have a Tim one!) on the tag using Vintage Photo Distress Ink - you can just see it above - I layered so many things over it!
I added Remnant Rubs/Life Quotes, Industrious Stickers/Borders (that I inked with Orange Blossom and Leaf Green Archival Inks) and Chit Chat stickers.
I placed a number Salvage Sticker on a Journaling Ticket adding a Blossom Bucket black star, another Remnant rubs/Life Quotes and Chit Chat Sticker  Then I spritzed all over the tag using the Distress Marker Spritzer with a Black Soot Distress Marker.

Ok, I'm finally DONE explaining it all -  and I'm happy with it!  Come and join us at  A Vintage Journey Challenge!

Stamps:  Classics #16 - Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz
Paper:  Ranger Manilla Tag, True Black - Papertrey Ink
Ink:  Ranger Distress - Black Soot, Vintage Photo; Archival - Orange Blossom, Cornflower Blue, Leaf Green.
Accessories:  Ideology - Journaling Tickets, Salvage Stickers, Remnant Rubs/Life Quotes, Chit Chat Stickers, Trinket Pins, Black Paper String, Heart Charms, Ring Fasteners, Time Pieces, Game Spinners, Industrious Stickers/Borders, Ranger Distress Tarnished Brass Glitter, Grunge Paper - Ranger, Damask Stencil - My Favorite Things, brown Twine - Waltzingmouse, Distress Marker Spritzer - Ranger,  Black Soot Distress Marker - Ranger, Ranger Distress Paints - Mustard Seed, Rusty Hinge, Bundled Sage.

7 comments:

Annette Allen said...

love this vintage tag and all those little goodies you added.. great designing.

Almo said...

Wow Julia, I have had to have a good look and down your tag several times to take in all the lovely stamping, techniques and embellies on it. This is a perfect tag for the challenge. Thank you for your visit to my blog and your kind comments. Mo x

Redanne said...

Hi Julia, I am delighted that you made this tag for the challenge, it is wonderful, I love the brown tones in the background along with the stenciling, the glittery pediment is gorgeous and your added embellishments make it perfect for a man.

Thank you so much for joining in our 'All About Him' challenge at A Vintage Journey, I hope you will keep joining us! Hugs, Anne x

Loll said...

Amazing tag with incredible details. Loll xx

Anonymous said...

Julia what a great tag! Karenx

Candy C said...

Julia...I am LOVING your tag! It's brown and distressed deep brown/black edges look so vintage and fantastic! I love your design and the use of the numerals, the journaling ticket and Tim's Pediment! Really an outstanding project! Thanks for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey. <3 Candy

Terry said...

Julia, I love the masculine feel on your tag! The glitter has such a rustic feel and the colors are so manly! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey.